Sunday, July 16, 2006

Good Wife vs. Manipulative Spouse -- Sometimes, You Have to be Both

Lissa made a good point in her comment to my last post. I'm sure if Fearless Husband was still single, he would've packed the way single men do (wad it all in the suitcase, buy new underwear, socks and toothbrush once he reaches his destination). And the gifts I bought for him to take to his parents, grandparents and sister? Wrinkled and/or broken. Would that have bothered him? Not in the least. But it sure would've bothered me. So my choice to "help" him pack was for me (and for the sake of assorted silk kimono and pieces of porcelain), not for him.

One thing I've learned though...if I had let him throw away the little embarkation card thingie, to try and teach him a lesson, guess who would've had to put up with Mr. Crankypants?

Yeah, that would be me.

Now though, he owes me for saving him big beaurocratic problems. I'm sure he'll try and make up for it (hopefully with something sparkly!) So, I'm not being a good wife as Lissa asserts. Instead, I'm being selfish -- because I prefer him to be sheepishly grateful rather than cranky.

Sly? Yep. Evil of me to find joy in his guilt? Probably. But hey, it's still joy.

2 Comments:

At 7/17/2006 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are a good wife BECAUSE even though you want something sparkly (who doesn't) you care for him as well. See everybody wins!

 
At 7/17/2006 4:44 PM, Blogger Carolie said...

Awwww...thanks, Lissa! I'm going to hire you to be my cheerleader and to rationalize all my behaviour!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home